There is much more to packing for a move for a great moving experience you should start at least 3-6 months in advance. Of course you would have found your new residence and schools for the children.
Before you pack for your move you can have a yard sale or donate items you no longer need or use to cut down
on the work on your move date.
Are You Prepared To Pack For Your Move?
Make sure you have all of your cost and moving strategies in place. Will you box up and pack small items yourself? Separate and label heavy boxed items for movers in advance? Will you tape and quilt precious and fragile items yourself? Do you know how to pack your glasses and dishes?
Before Packing For A Move
- Save money by gathering boxes and tape.
- Address changes on all important documents
- Moving Company Reservation
- Plans for furniture breakdown/assembly
- Utility/Cable transfer
- Pods for storage
Packing Supplies Needed
It's best to have a packing list to refer to or you can forget something very simple but important. You don't want it to happen to you. Can you see yourself saying ; "Where is that tape I need to close this box!"
- packing tape
- permanent markers
- box cutter
- bubble wrap
Packing Tips and Schedule When Moving
A good mover will know that your most important and daily used items should be packed first but available all of the time and don't forget to label all fragile items.
- Pack one room at a time if your doing this yourself.
- Color code with name tag each box for specific room.This will allow easy moving for everyone involved.
- Put heavy item in small boxes by themselves.
- Pack an emergency bag with personal or baby items.
- Moving on a weekday will allow you to make important calls to companies that may be closed on the weekends.
- Pre-clean your new residence.
- Hire mover- Get quotes first!
- Discard all items you don't want or need.
- Hold garage sale/ sale on Craigslist.
- Gather all of your moving supplies.
- Confirm movers/schedule
- Pack/label items you aren't using.
- Use a notebook to list all boxes for checklist once moved in.
- Make sure your new home has new locks.
- Clean new home.
- Do change of address.
- Pack more items.
- Separate what your moving vs movers.
- Plan utility disconnection
- Confirm movers/schedule again.
- Be well rested.
- Play great music!
- Final packing.
- Give details/needs to movers.
- Pack your cloths/toothbrushes for several days in your important box.
- Have someone at your destination to greet and direct movers.
- Check your items with checklist before paying and signing moving documents
- Good Luck!